From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:01:25 EST
    Hi All.

    I've been approached by a couple with a feral hive in a tree in their
suburban garden; I haven't seen it yet. Apparently (they're not beekeepers)
the colony has been there for a number of years, and has thrown several
swarms in that time; everyone keeps indoors for a bit when a swarm comes out,
then when it settles life goes back to normal. Other people are better
qualified than me to judge this; the area has had varroa for a number of
years.

    The problem is, they're planning to move in the next couple of months,
and are apprehensive that the next owners may not be bee-tolerant, so they'd
like the bees moved before then if possible, without wrecking the oak tree
they're in. Does anyone know a fairly quick way of getting the bees out (I do
know about the cone method but it takes too long) which doesn't involve
felling the tree, and preferably saves the genetic material? I know I'm
asking for the moon, but I want to help if I can.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham UK