From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:40:28 -0400
>> Moreover, we recently discovered a touch of AFB in
>> some of my hives, and, guess what? They were the
>> Australian package bee group,

> hard to blame any race on a case of AFB! AFB happens!

It wasn't just one hive.  It was several in that group, and I'm not blaming
a race.  I'm remarking on a source, one that has had intermittent problems
with chalkbrood as far back as I can remember.

I'm a hobbyist at this point, and can afford to watch and wait.

> cioncidence? Maybe ? or maybe not? Interesting but proves what?

Doesn't prove a thing, but is basis for some wondering, especially when
combined with some knowns, like lack of HYG and susceptibility to another
common bee disease that is easily bred out, as demonstrated by CB problems.

>>  I let it go a bit to see if they cleaned it up.  They
>> definitely did not.

> How many hives would?

Quite a few, in my experience, if the genetics are good.  Moreover, there
was a study from Aus some time back showing how AFB progresses.  People
tried to generalise it into a universal statement, but, at the time I
protested that it did not mach my experience.  Maybe their observations were
due to disease-susceptible genetics common in some Aus breeds at the time.

> I would not let the situation go very long if in my yards!

Nor would I, if I were a serious commercial beekeeper.  I'm not.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to see how many advocate letting mites run
their course.  HYG bees can handle AFB, especially with a little help.  What
is the difference?

> I have tested what the U.S. queen producers have to offer and have kept
> the results to myself. I would lose a bunch of queen producer friends if
> my findings were made public!

I hear ya!

> This week I added two frames of sealed brood full of varroa to the horner
> line, Browns bees line, Buckfast line and the Varroa tolerant line from
> Italy. Hopefully I will kill off 50% this winter.

Maybe stick in a frame or two of AFB, too.

allen