From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 03:05:22 -0800
I was the one who started this (latest?) focus on
dispensing with restricted ventilation on both bottom
and top by posting a quote from Langstroth.  I'm not
about to quarrel with him or with posters who confirm
his contentions.  But I have repeatedly experienced
what seems to me to be a contrary indication.  I saw a
hole in all my inner covers to accept a quart jar lid
for feeding and then cover this hole with a rectangle
of 1/8" hardware cloth to keep the bees below that
cover.  Very many times I find the bees propolizing
that screen.  And, most suprising, it happens here on
Guam as well as in my WA home.  And especially the
feeding holes in my Kelley observation hive which I
close the same way.  And for some time we have seen
advertisements for a commercial product which actually
provides power ventilation.  I don't know how to
reconcile all this with my bees' apparent distaste for
upper ventilation holes.  Dan