From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:30:35 -0400
'Way back when', I did a fair amount of work with Bob Stevens (Owner of
Betterbee) in developing the Bee Max styro hive.  Frankly, it was a pretty
straight knock-off of one then being made in Finland.  I was very concerned
about it being 'too tight' and therefore causing too much condensation
during the winter.  I never did get an answer from the Finns concerning
condensation, but they talked around the subject a great deal and ended up
saying 'condensation is not a problem'.

Since, I have often wondered if the reason their standard configuration
included a bottom board with a screened insert was to (1) constantly
introduce cold dry air to balance with the warm air from the bees
respiration, and (2) drain any excess moisture that did accumulate.

Bob subsequently developed the styro nuc without my input.  As someone
suggested, it was a knock off of one from Western Canada and the design was
brought to Bob by the styro manufacturer.  When I saw it I questioned Bob
about excess condensation and, roughly, he said (1) the guy in Western
Canada hasn't had any problems with excess condensation and (2) the guy in
Canada wanted the solid bottom for feeding.

Well...I have had just three of these nuc boxes.  I consider them superb for
establishing spring nucs and wish I could afford to replace my 75+ wood nuc
boxes with them.  But in this climate I have to think that using them to
overwinter without some kind of top ventilation would result in the loss of
most of the nucs.  Besides, I have little difficulty over-wintering 5 frames
nucs in my drafty wood boxes.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.