From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:03:08 -0500
My advice to you is going to be to not use the Terra Patties at all!

Why do you think you should?  Have you had American Foulbrood (AFB)?  Did
you get frames from someone who either (1) told you that American Foulbrood
had been a problem, or (2) was using Terra Patties themselves?

What I am about to say is very controversial, some would say heresay, but I
deeply believe it.  I think that the use of Terra Patties is the #1 reason
we now have such a problem with resistant strains of AFB in the US.   It
seems like just too much of a coincidence that resistance started showing up
a few years after Terra Patties became available and were widely used.  I
know, I know...no one has ever proved the relationship.  SO WHAT?  We would
never use terramyacin prophylacticly for humans.  Why should we for bees or
any other animals?

My suggestion...unless someone you got frames from said they had a problem
with AFB or you have actually seen it in your hives, go on out of town and
don't use Terramyacin at all, let alone in patty form.  If you have seen it
in your hives, use the Terra dust according to label instructions.  If you
wonder if you have AFB, when you get back in May call your inspection
service.  They will make the inspection, free, and let you know.

Good luck

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.