From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 05:39:09 -0500
Hello Karen & All,
Although what I am about to say really does not pertain to the discussion
many might find the story of interest.
Last spring after answering a ad  for bee equipment I appeared at the home
of a beekeeper of over 25 years which had lost his bees to varroa and was
selling out.  I bought the items I was interested in but had a look at the
other equipment for sale.  When I looked at his deep brood chambers I was
surprised to see the whole comb was drone but a very small oval in the
center on all the frames and boxes.  I asked him why all the drone?  He
replied the drone cells were  his control for varroa.  The varroa feeds on
the drone and leaves the worker brood alone.  A beekeeper *friend* in the
south had shared his secret with him.  Over half the box was drone comb.
Although the boxes were in excellent shape, paint  and the comb  above
average myself and friends were not interested because of the large amount
of drone comb.  After seven months of trying to sell the boxes they remain
unsold.  A normally fast moving item.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. Experiment with a few hives but not all your hives.