From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:31:23 -0400

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Troy Fore [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:30 PM
	To: Producer Friendlies
	Subject: CONGRESSIONAL CALLS NEEDED

	PLEASE CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN - As soon as possible:

	We have received an alert from Washington that when the House
Agricultural Appropriations bill goes to the floor tomorrow (Thursday),
Congressman Jeff Flake (R-AZ) plans to offer a series of amendments
aimed at stripping the funding for many agriculture research efforts
including the ARS bee labs in Weslaco, Texas, and Baton Rouge,
Louisiana.

	We need many Congressmen to hear from beekeepers that this
research is important to our industry. Ask them not to support Rep.
Flake's amendments.

	For your information, the Appropriations Committee's bill funds
the bee labs at the same level as last year. The Agricultural Research
Service, as a whole, is funded $49 million below last year's level.

	You can reach your Congressman via the House switchboard -
202-225-3121 - ask for the Congressman's office, then for the person who
handles farming issues.

	If you get any relevant feedback, please pass these on to me.
You call needs to go to Washington Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday
morning.

	Below, I have listed several of Rep. Flake's recent
pronouncements of federal funding. It would be easy to dismiss a
challenge such as this - as we hope Congress will do - but in this time
of tight budgets and tough competition for the federal dollar, no
challenge can go ignored.

	Thanks,

	Troy

	Troy Fore  <[log in to unmask]>
	Executive Director
	American Beekeeping Federation, Inc.
	P.O. Box 1337  -  Jesup, Georgia 31598-1337   USA
	Street Address: 115 Morning Glory Circle - ZIP: 31546
	Tel. 912-427-4233  - Fax 912-427-8447
	Internet: <http://www.ABFnet.org> <http://www.ABFnet.org>

	Serving the Industry Since 1943

	=================================

	SOME OF REP. FLAKE'S RECENT NEWS RELEASES:

	Congressman Flake Spotlights Egregious Earmark of the Week
	$179,000 for Hydroponic Tomato Production in Ohio

	Washington, D.C., May 17 -

	Republican Congressman Jeff Flake, who represents the Arizona's
Sixth District, today highlighted a pork project contained in the
Agriculture appropriations bill for fiscal year 2006.

	    This week's egregious earmark: $179,000 for hydroponic
tomato production in Ohio.

	    "Congress needs to ketchup with public opinion and start
getting serious about eliminating pork projects like this," said Flake.

	===

	Congressman Flake Spotlights Egregious Earmark of the Week
	$196,000 for Geese Control in New York

	Mesa, Arizona, May 12 - Republican Congressman Jeff Flake, who
represents the Arizona's Sixth District, today highlighted a pork
project contained in the Agriculture appropriations bill for fiscal year
2006.

	    This week's egregious earmark: $196,000 for geese control in
New York.

	    "Because of pork like this, our goose might be cooked come
November," said Flake.

	=====

	Congressman Flake Spotlights Egregious Earmark of the Week
	$75,000 for Catfish Genome Research in Auburn, Alabama

	Washington, D.C., May 3 - Republican Congressman Jeff Flake, who
represents the Arizona's Sixth District, today highlighted a pork
project contained in the Agriculture appropriations bill for fiscal year
2006.

	    This week's egregious earmark: $75,000 for catfish genome
research in Auburn, Alabama.

	    "Angling for pork projects like this turns us all into
bottom feeders," said Flake.

	=====

	Congressman Flake Spotlights Egregious Earmark of the Week
	$5,000,000 for the Poultry Science Research Facility in
Starkville, Mississippi

	Mesa, Arizona, Apr 19 -

	    Republican Congressman Jeff Flake, who represents the
Arizona's Sixth District, today highlighted a pork project contained in
the Agriculture appropriations bill for fiscal year 2006.

	    This week's egregious earmark: $5,000,000 for the Poultry
Science Research Facility in Starkville, Mississippi.

	    "If Republicans continue presiding over pork projects like
this, the chickens may come home to roost in November," said Flake.
"Voters are madder than a wet hen."