From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 07:36:15 -0500
Hi Bob and Everyone,
Bob, I was refering to the continuing work and yearly updates published in American Bee journal by Tibor Szabo not Steve Tabor.  Tibor's selection program clearly shows in my opnion that one can use mite counts to select for increasing varroa resistance while continuing to treat colonies for varroa mites.  Tibor's work seems to validate Allen's "quick and dirty" selection process.  Of course breeding progress will be much faster with II and with more focused selection such as Harbo's work with SMR but the relatively easily done selection based only on mite count will also work.

FWIW

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture