Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:01:20 -0500
Jim is absolutely right.  A general rule with any synthetic adhesive is:
if you can smell it, it will outgas or produce reactive fumes.  I worked
for a high tech electronics company where we assembled small, complex
electro-optical systems in volume.  The miniature assemblies were too
small to use mechanical fasteners so we had to resort to inexpensive,
robust adhesives to hold things together.  Even after UV-curing (which
causes adhesive deposits to skin over in seconds), the material would
continue to outgas for some time.  The assemblies could not be buttoned
up for the risk of adhesive vapors coating precise optical surfaces.
Units good at shipment time, could come back from the field with
adhesive vapor deposits on optics and photodiodes !  This was a humbling
lessons learned indeed.

A number of adhesive chemistries will vaporize and readily combine with
water vapor.  (And we know the hive interiors do not lack water vapor !)
Settling down on frames, the particles are sure to enter honey.  You
should take a look at some MSDS (material safety data sheets) for
adhesives.  Risks run from mild irritations to cancer.

I would not want to eat honey from a hive that had plywood in it.  No
way.  Plywood may be great on house floors but why go through all the
care to produce good raw honey only to have it tinted by nasty chemicals
?

Go all natural materials all the way.  I hope the plastic material in
Pierco frames is neutral and non-reactive...   Next thing you know I
will be asking for an MSDS on it. :)

Waldemar

 >>The outgassing goes on for years, not days, not months.
Do a web search on "plywood outgassing", and you can read
about it.  Again, I can't point to any specific beekeeping-oriented
reference, but both types of formaldehyde certainly can be taken
up by wax, and it is reasonable to infer that it can contaminate
honey if the plywood frames are less than 4 years old.

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!