Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:38:17 -0400
>And I'm guessing that this steady stream of syrup and chems leaves quite a bit of chemical laced syrup in the hives.

I wonder why this never shows up in analyses we hear about?

Of course, I also wonder why Canada detected far more BSE than the US when the cattle populations have been completely intermingled -- and the US has the largest portion of the cattle population by far.

I wonder why Canada is quite sensitive to tihis question and our meetings are rife with warnings about responsible chemical use and why PFRA is on the case, but the topic is less high-profile in the USA.  Oh!  I know, Canada is a honey exporting nation.

>While I agree in principle, experience teaches that hardly anyone reads this stuff.

Well, this claims to be a list for "Informed Discussion".  How can one be informed without reading the material being discussed?

>... I agree with you that there is a lot more in this paper than that. I encourage anyone who has time to read it.
>http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0020656

Thanks for posting this important link.

I wonder if these bees were primarily producing honey for human consumption?  I can't recall any mention except a somewhat puzzling mention of extracting -- a mention that *seems* to place some treatments in the honey production period.

If they are not, then the issue of feeding and timing of treatments is far less clear.  Of course, even bees kept for pollination and increase, and where honey production is avoided occasionally make surplus honey by accident.

Some of us do not intentionally produce honey for human consumption, and if we have a surplus, that can be a problem.

Typically, discussions tend to ignore the fact that many hives are not used for honey production at all, or may be nucs for the subsequent year.  For them, the rules are different -- or should be.