From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:43:00 -0600
Hello Giuseppe & All,

> I do not understand as never it comes only used the fumidil
for its control.

The simple answer is nothing has ever provided the control of fumidil. None
of us like the high cost of fumidil but every other treatment has fallen
short.

If you had said you were only seeing nosema in a few yards the
recommendation might have been different but when the problem is widespread
like you said you have to act fast. Your choices are limited. I keep bees
for a living and will fix a beekeeping  problem with antibiotics or
chemicals if needed if the best solution to keep me in business.

I used chemical strips for varroa for years with success knowing I most
likely would have to replace all my comb. When a varroa tolerant bee became
available I replaced all my comb and switched over to varroa tolerant bees.

 Much of the U.S. beekeepers problems today  can in my opinion be traced
back to contaminated comb. Instead of buying new trucks etc. commercial
beekeepers should be investing in clean
brood comb.

My friend Michael Palmer can give his opinion on why Richard Taylor lost his
hives to nosema but the bottom line is Richard Taylor did not see the nosema
problem coming and got burnt. If he had he could have used fumidil (that
fall)  and saved himself a lot of grief and embarrassment in his column.

 Giuseppe sees the nosema problem as growing and serious. Thymol will not
kill nosema. Has been tried before Giuseppe.

>and a great problem also why  we work with organic systems.

I was an organic grower for many years until I got tired of seeing my trees
die. Now I use IPM methods. I treat if needed only but keep all options
open.

>Excuse for my bad English
I believe I am understanding you.

Basta nosema!

Many thanks for the information and PDF files you sent me!

Your friend,
Bob Harrison