From:
Mark Hubbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:07:12 -0500
> Someone has to ask the obvious question - have you tested and
> found that you actually have any/all of these problems, or are you
> perhaps treating for pests/diseases without justification?

I haven't noticed any of these problems but my beekeeping mentor told me to treat for these every fall (and my reading led me to believe this wasn't a bad idea -preventative measures?). Perhaps this is wrong (?) Help me.  (Thanks for the link to diagnostic info!)

> This is IMPOSSIBLE to answer unless you tell WHERE your bees
> are located, as
> almost all medications are temperature dependent.

Sorry I didn't provide this info.  I am in SW Missouri and yesterday's temps: high of 92 and low of 65. The forecast looks like much of the same

> Further, why are you treating with Terramycin?  If your bees
> are exposed to
> AFB, how are you going to identify that fact if your bees
> have been treated
> with Terramycin?  Terra. HIDES the symptoms of AFB, and that
> is the "evil" of using it.
> I have NEVER used a single dose of Terramycin in 70 years and
> usually had
> 100+ colonies.

You have 70 years of experience more than I do. Tell me more about the "evil" of Terramycin. What does one do when AFB shows up? Again, I'm just going with the advice given me a couple of years ago.

Thanks for all your help!

Mark