From:
Mats Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:36:05 +0100
Lloyd wrote:

"I would not use polystyrene covers because a migratory cover or piece of
3/4" plywood is just as good at a fraction of the cost.  Likewise,
polystyrene bottom boards are just too expensive compared to alternatives."

And i would just like to point out how muc i love these polystyrene covers are since they can also be used as a bottom board. They have a rim around the edge, so they are in fact a bottom board at the same time (let me know if you are unaware of this, and i'll provide a picture for those interested).

Here's a trick i learned from an experienced beekeeper over here. He keeps Carnolians, like myself, and obviously has had to find a way to tame their swarming tendencies. When you open up a colony and find that they are building queen cells, move all boxes over and put an empty box on the bottom board. Then put the cover on the new box, with the entrance facing in the other direction. On top of it, stack all the boxes and put on a new cover (which could be a simple and cheap piece of plywood or styrofoam). Now, the older bees will fly out the new entrance, gather nectar and pollen, and then return in the way they're used to. The bottom box will be filled with the older bees (and honey!) and the colony on top will be all younger bees. With the colony out of balance this way, they will not swarm.

After a week, rejoin the bottom split with the old colony by simply removing the cover over the bottom box. The bees from the top colony will fly in to the back of the hive and walk around to the original entrance and then learn after a while that this is the right place to enter the hive.

I understand that many of you keeps so many colonies (or bees that don't swarm) that you never check the brood chamber for swarm cells, but i just wanted to point out how useful the covers are, compared to a plywood board.

Also, if this is considered common knowledge, feel free to ignore, correct or even insult me.

/Mats Andersson, Stockholm Sweden