From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:30:09 -0500

>I don't know for sure what percentage of fructose I bought.

Both will crystallize, but 42 will crystallize so fast that the bees can't
get it out of the feeders.

>   I place the syrup in a gallon bucked over
>the inner cover, not on top of the frames.  It would seem to create a chill
>problem if I placed it on the frames.  ??

No chilling. Place the bucket on the frames resting on shims to keep the
bucket a bee space off the combs. Place an empty hive body around the
bucket, and covers on top. The bees will cluster around the feeder and warm
the syrup. You did place a hive body around the bucket, and didn't just
have the bucket exposed to the elements? I know someone who did this, and
the bees wouldn't break cluster to go up and get it...and the syrup
crystallized.

>The bucked has a one inch hole with a screen.  Perhaps I could add
>additional holes.

I never liked these feeder buckets with the screen feeder hole. I don't
think bees can take the syrup fast enough through it. When I bought my bees
from the orchard, they had many such buckets. I had to punch holes in the
screen so the bees could take the syrup...also, the bees propolize the
screens closed. I like to use new gallon paint cans. I punch 4 holes with
the corner of my hive tool, about a half inch long. The bees can empty up
to 5 gallons in 3 or 4 days...way quicker than it will ever crystallize.

Mike