From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 00:06:53 -0700
Digest Cesar Flores wrote:

> I would actually be more interested to know of record keeping techniques
> people are using that are NOT computer based.
>
> In the field, I am using the primitive method of writing notes on the hive
> top-cover with a grease pencil. I know of the use of bricks painted different
> colors that can be oriented in a sort of code. What are people doing now
> since they obviously aren't using computers (for record keeping anyway)?

         I'm a firm beliver in record keeping and use bricks, notes on
hives,
paper spreadsheets, computer records both spreadsheets and database.
Each system has a distinct use depending on where the information is
needed. Bricks don't store much info but can be used to indicate basic
colony condition such as queen status or colony weight. This sort of
info is useless if it is stored in a computer or notebook because it is
not readily accessed in the feild. Queen type and colony production is
written on the back of the colony where it is easily accessed to make
management decisions. Detailed production records, pedigrees, honey
inventory is best kept on a computer where it can be anylized. I'd be
glad to elaborate if there is interest.