From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:25:53 -0600
>> They walked like a duck, quacked like a duck, but DID NOT taste like
>> a duck,
>>
> Crow berries do not look much like blueberries, and the plants they
> grow on are not even similar to blueberries.

Personally, from appearance, I'd have thought what we saw were
blueberries, if not for the bush.

As it happens, I had a camera.  The wild crowberries we saw are at
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/stan1.jpg.  Cultivated 'wild'
blueberries grown in a field near the crowberries are shown at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/blueberry.jpg.  FWIW, both
images are part of
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/2003/diary081003.htm, which is one
page of my daily diary at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/

The *berries* themselves, appeared *very* similar to some blueberries.
I did not taste them, but to the eye, the berries were darker than wild
berries and the ones shown above, but similar in size and colour to some
large blueberries sold in the stores.

The crowberry bushes we saw, however, were dense, and very different in
structure from any blueberry bush I've seen.  It was also sufficiently
different from the ones shown in the initial images offered by Gavin
that I was still not completely sure of the ID after looking at those
references.  The ones in his references on the web were taller, less
dense, and the berries were not as thick on the plants.  We were able to
walk on the crowberry bushes we saw. To my recollection, they were like
a thick carpet.

Then Charlie sent me a reference to
http://www.darktickle.com/crowberryinfo.aspx , that seems to me to be
almost exactly what we saw. That does not surprise me, since
Newfoundland is very close to PEI, and plants, even in the same species,
vary considerably in appearance and habit from place to place.

Everyone is right, at least a little bit.

allen