From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:34:08 -0500
Rick Drutchas said:

> bees from down under are already coming into the
> states through Canada.

That's a misleading statement.  Read on...

> You can bring bees into the states from Canada.

Yes, you can.  Colonies and nucs and whatever.

But not packages or queens fresh off the plane from
NZ or Oz.  That would be "illegal trans-shipment",
using "false flag documents", a violation of the current
restrictions imposed by the Honeybee Act of 1922,
which is still the law of the land, and the expressly-stated
will of Congress.

If anyone got away with such a thing, they were fools, and
they just happened to get away with it.

Canada has actual INSPECTION of the imported bees required
by law.  So does the UK and the EU countries.

Anyone with even half a brain inspects live animals.  see
http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/0009/0004/0002/0003/3_e.htm
for details on Canada's regs.

So, if a Canadian sells me bees from NZ or Oz, the bees were first
inspected, and then hived in his apiary.  He acted as an "import
quarantine yard" of sorts, at least for a time.  Bees that come to
the United States might be of NZ or Australian stock, or descendents
of that stock, but they spend some time in Canada before being shipped,
and Health Canada does a decent job of being picky.

But what is done in Canada is not what the prospective exporters want
to do in (or perhaps I should say "to") the US, and what APHIS appears
to agree to when their arm is twisted hard by the current "gang in possession"
pretending to be an "administration".

They want >>NO<< controls, no inspections, no checks and balances.
They want direct international shipments to the beekeeper.

That's never been done before with live animals.

A well-read person might mention Mexican cattle:

    In the case of Mexican cattle [a NAFTA deal], USDA
    inspectors (US Citizens, each and all) do the inspections in
    Mexico before the cattle are shipped, and Mexico's laws and
    regulations are identical to the US laws in the area of interest.
    But even then, inspections are done again at point of receipt.

So this would be the first time that "Trust Me" was all
the "Biosecurity" offered for the shipment of live animals.

But hold on - what kind of bees do US beekeepers WANT and BUY
from Canada? They want "Cold-hardy" or "Winter-Hardy" stock,
bred  in Canada, using fine Canadian craftsmanship.

Not imported bees, and likely not even bred from bees imported from
NZ or Oz.  So we are talking about two different groups of bees.

Regardless, "Trust Me" is not "Biosecurity".
Its not even good business sense.
Everyone is protected by checks and balances.
Especially the fellow shipping the queens.

        jim