From:
Edward D Heinlein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:04:15 -0600
Greetings all,

I experienced almost exactly the same results as Garrett Martin this
year, when I started using one of the graftless systems. I thought I was
doing something terribly wrong.

Totally frustrated, I consulted with a number of queen rearers in the US
and Canada. With their advice (which was basically to just graft the
larvae) I'll be using the inexpensive Chinese grafting tool and plastic
cups next year.

I have also tried using the metal wire/spoon arrangement, the modified
toothpick arrangement, and an expensive automatic grafting tool, however,
I found that unlike the other devices, the CGT scoops up copious amounts
of the RJ with the larvae, and deposits it perfectly in the plastic cup.
It appeared to me that the lack of RJ in the cell, dramatically effected
the acceptance of the larvae by the cell starting colony. As suggested
elsewhere, you could also prime the cell with RJ too.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Ed Heinlein
Helena, MT