From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 19:21:50 -0500
Hello Richard & All,
These are old methods which have been in use by hobby beekeepers for years.
I see nothing which would harm bees or contaminate wax.

I also see nothing which would save a hive at varroa threshold in August.

If you plan to use these methods (or any of these) I would check varroa load
before and after treatment.

The problem with such mild methods is taking for granted your control is
working.

Even using apigard, api life var or miteaway two you need to make sure you
got control.

Varroa control was easy when Apistan was first introduced  but those days
are gone for many areas of the country. Many beekeepers are planning to use
the new Hivastan. I am not simply because we do not know the long term
problems an untested chemical might have on our honeybees and all my hives
are on comb which have never had a chemical strip used.

Past chemical use history:
Drone problems with Apistan and queen problems with Checkmite. Comb
contamination with both.

My choice would be mite away 2, apigard or apilife var. Also if these are
used too late in the season in the north (OCT.) they give poor results. You
need to monitor varroa loads with these also.

bob

--
believed to be clean.