From:
"adrian m. wenner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:12:40 -0800
Dave Cushman wrote:

>What I was trying to say is that it is no use taking a miniature camera
>(endoscope) and placing it behind the lens of a bee's eye. The resulting
>picture may be amusing to humans, but is misleading because the bees
>processing has been omitted.

Allen Dick added:

Motion seems to play a large role in what bees 'see'.  It seems to me that
when motion is involved, bees are able to use the additional information
generated by motion to enhance (over time) what we imagine they 'see' from
considering the static image inputs.

********

    Both Dave and Allen hit the nail on the head.  Despite all our
rinky-dinky experiments, we still know VERY little about what insects
see.  For instance, I have noticed that fast moving honey bees that
approach a cyclone (chain link) fence go up and over it, even though
they could very well fly right through the openings.

     By contrast, I have seen dragonflies (with reputedly superior
eyesight) fly right into cyclone fences.

                                                        Adrian

--
Adrian M. Wenner                (805) 963-8508 (home office phone)
967 Garcia Road                 [log in to unmask]

*
*    "T'is the majority [...that] prevails.  Assent, and you are sane
*       Demur, you're straightway dangerous, and handled with a chain."
*
*                                    Emily Dickinson, 1862
*