From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 09:48:10 -0400
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/local/story.html?id=c827c7cb-
c3c6-4a25-8700-e5a51968855a&p=2

Mites killing Sask. honeybees

Michelle Martin
The StarPhoenix

Thursday, May 10, 2007

CREDIT: Richard Marjan, The StarPhoenix
Blake Rooks checks a hive of healthy bees south of Saskatoon
Trevor Rehaluk expected to hear the familiar buzz of thousands of honeybees when he checked
his hives this spring, but most were quiet. The majority of his 1,200 hives were empty.

Rehaluk, a Nipawin-area residence, believes a persistent parasite called the varroa mite is to
blame for the bees' disappearance.

The phenomenon is similar to colony collapse disorder, the name given to the mysterious loss of
more than a quarter of the U.S. honeybee population. Mysterious honeybee disappearances have
also swept Canadian provinces, particularly Ontario.

"The mites put such a large stress on the bees that they almost go crazy and they seem to leave
the hive to get away from them," said Rehaluk, who is in the midst of unwrapping his hives in
preparation for the summer honey flow.

This is the second media article I read this  week where the beekeeper has apperently morphed
mites into CCD. The other article was an Illinois source I beleive.