From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 20:07:55 -0800
The Small Beekeeper’s Journal (300 Hickory St., Apple
River, IL 61001, $12.95 per year) reprinted in their
November, 2000 issue a reprint from the October, 1945
issue of Gleanings in Bee Culture.  This was an
article by E.R. Root entitled “Eighty Years Among the
Bees” which covered a most extraordinary account of
overwintering bees.  I have extracted the following,
editing for brevity.    Dan Hendricks

“I have been rereading Langstroth’s original book of
1853-57, and I must say that I am amazed how that
genius who invented the moveable frame was in line
with present day trends in the thinking and pratices
on the subject of winterlng.  . . . On the subject of
dampness which we consider so harmful to good
wintering, he says in the first edition of his book of
1853.  ‘This dampness, which causes what may be called
a rot among the bees, is one of the worst enemies with
which the apiarian weakns or destroys many of his best
colonies. . . . They will survive our coldest winters
in thin (*he means single thickness of wood*)  hives
raised on blocks to give a fteer admission of air, or
even in suspendced hives, without any bottom board at
all.  Indeed, in cold weather a very free admission of
air is necessasry in such hives to prevent the
otherwise ruinous effect of frozen moisture; and hence
the common remark that bees require as much or more
air in winter than in summer.’  . . .

‘Today (Jan. 14, 1857), I have opened three hives and
carefully examinead the combs, and find their
condition to be as follows:  (No. l) a good stock of
bees  in a thin hive with abundant upward ventilation,
the spare honey board (*I think he means what we would
call an inner cover*)  being entirely removed.  In the
main hive there was a very little frost  (the
thermometer this morning being 10 degrees below zero),
and the bees were dry and lively.  The central combs
containing eggs and unsealead worms.”   (*I’m not
making this up*) . . .
‘Bees kept in large garret closets where their combs
occupy but a small part of the enclosed space are
exposed often to a very severe temperature.  In such
situations, however,  they are able to breed in the
depth of winter, and I believe that they would thrive,
even if their combs were hung in an open shed and
merely protected from the wind.  I would sooner risk
them in such a situation than in a damp hive however
well protected.

‘January 20, 1857:  This month, the coldest on record
for more than 50 years, had furnished the most
decisive proof of the correctness of the views
advancsed in this Appendix on wintering bees in the
open air.  My colonies have been exposed to a
temperature of 30 degrees below zero, the mercury for
two days never having risen above 6 degrees below,
and the wind blowing a strong gale the whole time!

‘I have today carefully examined the thin hive and
found the bees to be very healthy.  The central comb
is almost entirely filled with sealed brood nearly
mature; the combs are far from any appearance of mold,
and the interior of the hive is very dry.  The spare
honey board was covered on its under sie4 with straw
waapping papear, and elevated by tacks on its corners
about half an inch.  In all my hives where I have
adopeted this arranglement not a particle of dampness
is found to settle over the bees.  The value of
intercommunicating passages through the combs has this
winter been most fully tested; and its importance can
hardly be overestimated.’”