From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:15:19 -0600
Allen has posted the following before. I was puzzled then and  am puzzled
now as we have plenty of trouble in the Midwest with HFCS crystallizing when
stored for long.

We have in fact done exactly as works for Allen and still had
crystallization problems as we  always add 10% water before pumping in
fructose when a chance exists we will be storing the HFCS.  We don't add
water in fall when the bees are taking the syrup down fast and we know we
will not be storing the syrup.

>When we are expecting a load of HFCS, we fill the tank up to the >10% mark
with clean (sterile), fresh water, in advance of the delivery.

This is common practice in our area and with us but we use tap water.

Allen said:
  The mixture is then at the ideal 2:1 proportion and does not
ferment or granulate, even at minus forty degrees.

We have less trouble with granulation in mid winter & in summer but see most
problems when temps hover near 57 degrees F. I do not for a minute doubt
Allen's observations just wonder why we can't seem to be able to duplicate
his success in the Midwest?

Allen said:
  The tank has been sitting there, full of  syrup, for two years and the
HFCS is still water white and fresh - and  not in the least granulated.

I have never used a 1500 gallon plastic tank in our area because of the
problems I have seen others experience. When you add the 10% water the HFCS
certainly does not crystallize as fast but even with the   10% water
mixture we battle crystallization after a few months. Drop in 3,000 gallon
farm heaters has been our only solution.

I called a beekeeper which brought a 1500 gallon tank to fill  last spring
on the flatbed of a 7000 Ford truck. He had added the 10% water before
arriving. I will never forget the day as we had allowed for his 1500 gallon
tank fill when ordering and when the tanker arrived he was not at the
location. We located the beekeeper on his cell phone and he said his truck
quit and a wrecker was on the way. We filled our containers and before long
the beekeeper arrived on the hook of a wrecker (much to our relief as if he
had not showed we would have had to find a place to go with 1500 gallons of
HFCS). The problem turned out to be a clogged fuel filter and was fixed on
the spot and the truck drove home under its own power.
I called the beekeeper today and he said crystallization problems started
the next fall.
If the 1500 gallon plastic would work for us unheated several of us would
pick a few up .
Is the water we are using the difference? Different temperatures between the
Midwest and Canada?

Bob