From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:48:50 -0400
Hello All,
Dick,
The migratory beekeeper has less trouble with SHB than others because the
small hive beetle many times will leave the hive when moved.

Another beekeeper from Georgia which sent three loads of bees into 2006
California alomonds has two complete sets of pallets. By swiitching all
hives to new pallets and also reducing into singles the chances of sending
SHB and fire ants is greatly reduced.

As many on the list know I spend time in the south every winter and have
looked through plenty of southern hives. In Georgia & Florida all the hives
contain a few SHB.

Brian,
What part of "thousands of hives in California contain SHB" do you not
understand?

Did border controls stop tracheal mites?

Did border controls stop Varroa?

Did border controls stop africanized bees?

After over 50,000 hives were sent into California containing SHB over eight
years ago and the SHB is established in California. What is turning a load
for a single dead SHB all about?

If you go back and look at my comments over the years you will see I said:

Border controls will not stop the spread of tracheal mites ( was tried and
did not work)!

Border controls will not stop varroa in the U.S. ( was tried but did not
work as package shipments came rolling )

Migratory beekeepers paid for quarentine stupidity (while the package
shippers kept shipping packages with tracheal mites, varroa and now SHB)

Quarentines did not stop AHB! One commercial beekeeper we thought was
doomed to spend the rest of his days in the Rio Grande valley when AHB was
discovered. After a few YEARS he was able to leave with his 3000 hives.

Turning loads for less than a true infestation of small hive beetle at the
California border is a joke! Shows ignorance and is stupidity ( and
history) repeating itself.

If you do not learn from past mistakes you will be doomed to repeat past
mistakes!