Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:19:45 -0600
> What is most disturbing is the mean sample value of 7239 ppb in wax, puts
> some (o)f the samples above the LD50 level (LD50 =lethal level) LD50 for
> mites, for honeybees or for the customers who eat honey in the comb?

I think it is obvious to most of us that we are talking (old) brood comb
here when we observe such high levels.  There may be a few people who eat
old brood comb, but I doubt they do it often -- or even a second time after
trying it once, chemicals or no chemicals.

Granted, if the levels are high in a hive, there is expected to be be some
level of the contaminant found in new comb such as people may consume, but
usually in vastly smaller amounts.  Additionally, when consuming honeycomb,
only a small proportion of that which is consumed is wax.  Most of it is
honey.

I have no data on the difference of chemical found in adjacent combs, one
new and one old,  but people are rotating comb and new combs in a
contaminated hive seem to be much cleaner than the combs they replace .
(numbers anyone?).