From:
James Hock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:36:26 -0400
Most of my hives do this when they get hot and crowded.  I use all medium
boxes. I rotate the top and bottom of the three brood boxes frequently to
keep the queen laying and prevent swarming.  I would normally start with two
supers on a good hive.  When I see a "beard" of bees I would add a third
super on top and a forth on the bottom. This would now be a total of seven
medium boxes, with an Imirie shim between the two top supers. In my
situation, the queen never lays in the bottom medium box.  I "bottom super"
with undrawn foundation.  When I remove it at the end of the season, it is
usually drawn with some pollen.  I use these for next years nucs.

Is this lot of work? Yes.  But sometimes I can get 200 lb or more out of a
hive this way.  I "bottom super" mostly to protect the bees from skunks. As
long as they are in there anyway they may as well help draw comb.

Jim Hock
Wethersfield, CT.

********
I have two hives of Italian bees.
One behaves "normally". Never mind what that means. It's the other hive:
I have bees all over the outside of the hive just hanging out and remaining
still.. They've been that way for weeks through all kinds of weather, hot,