From:
Isis Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:41:28 -0500
>>For transfers/transports of queen cells the best is polystyrene used for
>>packing laboratory test tubes.

Mature cells are not as fragile as all that. When I worked in northern
California: they put candled the cells on the bar, and then lay the bar on
its side. With one quick slice with a pocket knife, the cells were detached.
These were laid on their sides in a padded box a little smaller than a lunch
box, then covered with a tea cozy. I have used a lunch box with a jar of hot
water under the padding and laid the cells on their sides in there. They
shouldn't be taken to the nucs until the last day, anyway. By then they are
starting to look like queens (not pupae). Earlier than that they might be
damaged by such treatment, though maybe not. At some point they are going to
make it no matter what. It is important that they be the right age. A cell
producer can really screw you by selling cells that aren't ready.

I. G.