From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 03:45:22 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

How many AHB have been effected by CCD? ...........You have any  idea?

None of my own but I'm just drawing together a few threads of other  people's
work.

Tom Seeley in Honeybee Ecology describes how, left alone and given
availability of suitable nest sites bees tend to distance their colonies about  half a
mile from each other (although we can all think of examples where they  have
not). I was wondering whether AHB are any different in this respect from  the
bees in the forests of New York State where Seeley conducted his studies  (I
hope to see him tonight and if I get a chance may ask him).

Leslie Bailey in lectures delivered in 1984 (The Effect on the Number  of
Honey Bee Colonies on their Honey Yields and Diseases) and 1986  (Bee-keeping by
Numbers) ie before varroa, explored through statistical  analysis what happens
when honeybees are out of equilibrium with their natural  food supply.  In
summary there are greater periods when there are a lot  of unemployed foragers
rubbing shoulders and this was the condition under  which certain diseases were
best spread, notably Chronic Paralysis  Virus.

Norman Carreck would be able to tell us a lot more and I think he  controls
the copyright of Bailey's lectures!

Chris