From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:44:36 -0400
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:07:00 -0400, Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Apilife VAR, or MiteAway II.  We DO NOT recommend the use of oxalic
>> acid, or home
>> made hard chemical mixtures.
>>
>> Why?  Colonies experiencing CCD have been shown to have kidney
>> (Malpighian tubule)
>> problems similar to those seen in colonies treated with hard
>> chemicals.  There are some
>> reports that Oxalic acid may damage bee Malpighian tubules. Also the
>> harder chemicals

There's a whole lot more then "some" reports out there especially in Europe that show OA to be
benign.

This statement

 We DO NOT recommend the use of oxalic
>> acid, or home
>> made hard chemical mixtures.

almost reads like a conservative play it by the book kind of government regulator speak. like its
not approved by EPA so its damned in the same breadth as home made hard chem mixes.

I know of many beekeepers who have followed the literature and correctly used OA for 2-3
seasons with no signs of problems.

How many have misused OA?  I have heard of a few who doubled the amount of OA in solution or
treated 2-3 times during brood season. They figured that 2-3 strips worked better then 1 so more
OA must work better too.

Old habits are hard to kill but its much easier to inadvertently kill your bees.