From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:31:38 -0400
I get reasonably good results with an Olympus. It has true optical zoom --
no digital on this one, if I remember correctly, but they had one with 10x
optical, plus 3x digital that should also work fairly well.

I selected this model mainly for the speed between shots (pretty fast, not
the fastest), and the macro and super-macro modes built it. It focuses the
closest of any I've seen on the market. It is generally fast enough to
capture the bees without wing noise. You can override this camera and set
most functions manually, if the defaults are not to your liking.

If using digital and you are going to print, make sure your resolution is at
least that of the printer. If you are going to crop or blow up the size, it
must be higher.

For display on a pc, 72 dpi is fine (at same size as photo), but I generally
use about 300 dpi. For something you'll use with a projector on the wall, or
cut out a portion and print, use the highest the camera has. Just remember
to delete those you don't like in the field (the truly bad are easy to see,
even on the small lcd's), then ruthlessly destroy the "almost good" when you
get back home. Battery power is the only expense after the camera -- use
only high-end rechargeables.