From:
"Matthew W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:33:15 -0600
Evidence of workers moving eggs?

While raising queens last month I concluded workers moved several dozen eggs
into nearby cells.

I had been experimenting with MannLake's (BZ's) queen kit (similar to the old
Jenter kit using plastic cell cups where the queen is kept hostage for laying
in a plastic box).  The next day I returned too late and found the queen had
layed multiple eggs in most of the cells.  To my surprise eggs were ALSO in
newly drawn worker foundation just to the outside of the kit.  If the queen was
able to sqeeze outside of the plastic cassette, she certainly would not have
sqeezed back into it; she definately didn't like being there to begin with.
There was no second queen since I thoroughly inspected before the queen was
caged - and more importantly - that same hive was used to finish raising a few
cells ----successfully ---- after I had removed the 'lone' caged queen.

What conclusion would you draw?  Where did the -worker- eggs come from?

Matthew Westall
     //        Earthling Bees
 >8(())))-     "Take me to your feeder"
     \\        Castle Rock, CO,  USA