From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:45:39 +0100
Hi Bob, Liz, and anybody else reading this mail,

Yes, the legal system "tends" to serve the strong, well resourced and
protected.

But this is definitely no excuse for accepting the "status quo" - If
this was the case then things would never move forward.
Presumably, the "environment" would deteriorate at an even faster rate.

It is very evident that lobbies work and for them to have influence
requires a supporting population.

Look at the ground swell in Europe - there are many activists, ordinary
people who a decade ago would not have even bothered to think "green".
Now it is becoming an attitude that is accepted by a high percentage of
the population. This in turn is being instilled into the next generation
(not as propaganda!) who consider protecting our surroundings as natural
as breathing.

People want clean food, water, air and are demanding that it is
supplied.

The system as it stands has allowed B.S.E., toxic fruit and veg. on to
the market, poisoned poultry meat, infected eggs, extensive spread of
Foot and Mouth, unwise levels of antibiotic residues in end products (no
point developing the problems of that here!). It is now considered
normal to have to by bottled water due to excessive levels of nitrates.
Is this correct  and has how long is it sustainable?

Those individuals, enterprises who are not grasping the nettle will find
that they are forced to in the future.

Beekeepers are a fantastic focal point, a prime figurehead for this
development. We should all be doing what we can to support individuals
who are trying to make a cleaner world.
To move hives away from a toxin source is short termism - what happens
if the molecule is applied on a wider scale and on other crops?
What happens if the original molecule spawns a family of others with
similar properties?

Take the problem with Imidacloprid - a well documented affair having two
totally opposed sides, each claiming each is correct.

I could move all my hives - to areas that are left as "clean" - but what
crops are left! In my case, forest honey, except that there are
clearings growing maize which has been treated with Gaucho.
Move country - possible but not open to many. And why should a noble
industry be chased into the recesses in the outback. I'm not the one
causing the destruction.
If things are possible for me - what about the next generation?
Where are they going to set up?

 When it suits, the agricultural industry pats us on the back - for
supplying one of the major links in food production via. pollination.
Pity that once the result is achieved the thanks arrives as a dusting of
poison.

How many industries accepts this?
If a farmer crop or animal suffered from a viral infection carried by
bees - there would be no wringing of hands and saying " you should move
because the beekeeper was here first"

I've said it before and will continue to say it - we need a dedicated,
respected group to work for recognition of the role of bees and one that
delivers results - one that is supported by industry - beekeepers,
packers, consumers et al. This will not come about by remaining quiet
and no causing waves!

Peter