From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 22:41:04 -0700
Hi all

Roy Nettlebeck wrote:
So lets go to micro management and pay attention to what is
going on in each hive. It takes time and beekeeping of the
past is gone. We have to shift with the times and not stay
in the past. This list provides a lot of ideas. Some will
work and some will not. Its not a one answer problem. It is
more of a shift to doing things that we did not do in the
past. Smaller cells may be part of it , but not the
complete answer.

Reply:
Yes, micro management is needed with close attention to
what is going on in each hive. It does take time, but not
that much more.

Beekeeping of the past is a frame of mind. Yes, I would say
the era of using various doping treatments is quickly
closing, for it is a dead end street for our bees. So is
constant inbreeding and closed populations that place bees
into a holding pattern and narrow the genetics.This we have
done heavily in past decades, and maybe in the future such
heavy reliance upon inbreeding and closed populations
should be changed, with more emphasis again put on good
outbreeding practices. I consider this narrowing of
genetics the past few decades a very fast way to stop
honeybee evolution, when coupled with todays enlarged and
artificialized system that is also dependent upon feeding
bees an artificial diet.

Yes, we need a shift from the past, but I would say the
immediate past of just the past 100 years or so! Much
further back can still be salvaged, though I'd sure hate to
give up much modern technology in the way of equipment!

Roy Nettlebeck also wrote:
We need Honeybee genetics to be using the tools of 2002.
That will help us move forward a lot faster.  We will not
come up with one bee for all areas and seasons. Each
beekeeper will have to keep a close eye on what is going on
in behavior of  his or her bees. That takes time and
dedication. We will need feedback to keep the progress
going.

Reply:
You are so right we will not need to come up with one bee
for all areas and seasons; and honeybee genetics/
methodology definitely needs to be changed to keep up with
changing times in our new 2000 century now unfolding. We
must all play a part if our industry is to survive
worldwide. We need diversity of bees again, acclimitized to
individual regions, and not just 2-3 main races to cover
our planet. We need beekeepers to have bees that will fit
the needs of localized areas, that roll with the seasons
and not by the calendar.

Sincerely,

Dee A. Lusby