Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:20:22 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
>>I do feel that something was going on in my hives this year that
wasn't the year before. The reason for the upper ventilation I understand, ie. to remove moist air so that you don't have the condensation problem under the inner cover. We had a a cold period this winter where the temperatures went between 0 F and 10 F.  Why didn't I have a problem?

I think the top insulation between the inner and outer covers is crucial in cold climates.  Not only does it keep cold condensation from raining down on the cluster below.  It creates a more comfortable atmosphere below the inner cover.  Through the screened bottoms in my hives, I have seen the cluster packed really tight on the bottom (cold conditions in the lower half of the cluster).  But when I removed the outer cover and the insulation, I could feel the warmth emitting from the TOP of the inner cover.  When I removed the inner cover, the top of the cluster was fairly loose and bees where going over to adjacent frames (presumably for food).  I think bees like this set-up.  Some bee books show temperature gradients in the winter hive that support this thinking.

The upper entrance is also useful in removing excess CO2 & moisture generated by the bees.  Especially, if there is not a screened bottom and the lower entrance is greatly reduced.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2