From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:40:07 -0700
>Glyn Davies, Ashburton, Devon UK wrote:

>I've been on the list for about a year now, and after 20 years of beekeeping
>I find the List absorbing for its insights to bee and human behaviour.

>Soon after joining it occurred to me that the List was trying to do two things:
>     a) Discuss Bee biology - ie, Life-history, anatomy, behaviour,
>diseases etc.
>     b) Discuss Practical beekeeping techniques

*********

   My reply:  A point that I have been trying to get across for quite some
time now is that one simply cannot separate the topics of bee behavior,
human behaviour, and practical beekeeping problems.

*********

   Glyn Davies also wrote:

>...Is it too naive to
>suggest that maybe two lines could be set up?  Would this situation calm
>things down, providing less frustration and less stamping on others toes?
>And perhaps permit more detailed discussion in each of these equally
>important but fairly distinct branches of the beekeeping business.

********

   My reply.  No, in all respect I do not think so, for reasons given
above.  I have found that most people apparently would like to shy away
from controversy (certainty is very comforting) and would like instead to
be provided with rather stand-pat and ready answers to questions that
arise.  As we have stated in one of our publications,"controversy is the
fuel of progress in science."  Though momentarily uncomfortable, resolution
of controversy really leads to a greater understanding of Nature's
functions.

   Fortunately or unfortunately, life just isn't a simple system wherein we
can gain "truth" in any one arena.  The best part of e-mail exchanges, in
my opinion, is that we do not have "gatekeepers" in place who can block
opinions with which they do not agree (an all-too common practice in the
scientific community).  I'm sure that Andy Nachbauer would agree with that
assessment.

   No, e-mail (and internet) exchanges now represent a major "revolution"
in communication in the scientific world.  Quite frankly, from my
perspective, scientists are totally unprepared for this new development.
The next few years should be very interesting, indeed!

                                                Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                         (805) 893-2838 (UCSB office)
Ecol., Evol., & Marine Biology           (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Univ. of Calif., Santa Barbara           (805) 963-8508 (home office & FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

*  "The difference between real and unreal things is that unreal things *
*   usually last much longer."                          Pot-Shots #6728 *
*          Copyright, Ashleigh Brilliant --- used with permission       *