Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:32:11 -0600
Mike Allsopp from South Africa asked for imformation about Fluon, its use, and
a source for it.  Here is what I have found out from someone who DOES have
experience with it.  The application was "to keep ants at bay."

The source:
(at least A source):
Northern Products, Inc.
153 Hamlet Avenue
P.O.Box 1175
Woonsocket, RI 02895
U.S.A.
phone: 401-766-2240, fax: 401-766-2287
name of product used:  Fluon AD-1, cost $104/quart (at that time--I don't know
about now).  It cannot be a phone order but must be a written or faxed order.

It is very toxic (in the liquid state).  It does not particularly vaporize, but
the people here who used it used rubber gloves, a lab coat, goggles, and used
it (applied it) under a hood.  My source said that the liquid is very toxic to
humans, but after it's dry it is safe.  He said he didn't know how it would
work if applied to wood.  They have only applied it to polystyrene.

You might want to call Northern and talk to their applications people about
various applications, to "talk you through it's use" and precautions that
should be taken when using it.

For those who may not know what this message is about, fluon is a "paintable
teflon" that ants cannot walk on (they cannot get a grip), so might have some
use in protecting beehives from ant predation (or harassment).

So, Mike, I think people would be interested in knowing how you plan to use
fluon and if you do use it, what results you got with it.  Best wishes and good
luck.

Layne Westover, College Station, Texas

p.s.  I have seen it in use, and it is true, ants cannot walk on a vertical
polystyrene surface that has been painted with fluon.  It works.  If I remember
right, I think they use it at the Insect Zoo in Columbus, Ohio, too, as well as
in the Urban Entomology Lab at Texas A&M University where they rear fire ants
and other species of ants and other insects in open containers.