From:
Tom Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:47:58 -0500
Hello James and all,
  Thank you for answering my questions. I do have a few more to ask. You
mention an apiary with an average of 160# each year. I assume that also
includes colonies with third year queens.(correct me if mistaken)

>One static apiary with 160lb averages each year plus nuclei >made up
from them. He can have 3 major nectar flows in at >least one

 Did all the colonies in this apiary survive the summer? The background
of the question is: would a dead colony been robbed, raising the average
by decreasing the total number of colonies, while the other colonies
would have robbed the dead hives surpluses.
   Did any neighboring apiaries exist that lost colonies or had weak
colonies? The bees in the 160# average apiary could have robbed the
neighboring apiary decreasing his average and raising this one.

>In this season, the best colonies had a head start on the >others, with
around and in some cases, in excess of 50lb >before the end of spring in
the supers, also
>The colony I mentioned may have been marginally faster off
>the mark and with the deep frames, had that many more foraging >bees.

  Would the above observation indicate an attribute of aggressiveness in
the queen? Would this attribute in the workers incline them to push past
the less aggressive guard bees in another apiary or colony?
  I understand some of these questions might not be known to you. But
any help in answering them would be appreciated.
  Does anyone else have similar experiences in third year queens? My
Italian queen is just going into her third year. I will be watching her
closely. Noticed today the colony is slightly on the light side. They
aren't taking the fondant/dry sugar mix like the buckfast beside her
does. However this colony didn't take up dry sugar last year either.

Tom Martin
Shippensburg, Pa