From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:08:51 -0600
Yoon,

the first quote
> bears witness to the changes in external variables in beekeeping over the
> years;

External variables but also the old issue of SSDD. SSDD has  been around
since the start of beekeeping. Only now every deadout seems connected to the
new plauge CCD.

 Will some researcher please explain why CCD is new? Why CCD is not simply
the combination of many problems which have been here for awhile ( yet the
U.S. best researchers seemed to miss) and if commercial beekeepers were
aware of some of the last falls deadouts  could have been avoided.

examples are N. ceranae and  KBV  were found in 100% of the CCD samples!
Should we not have been warned? Who knew and when did they know it? Why were
we not told at the 2005 meetings of ABF & AHPA? I hate to air the U.S. dirty
laundry but it is what it is.

The worlds bee researchers told us that without a doubt Varroa jabcobsoni
killed bees. Then along came Denis Anderson and proved the opposite with the
discovery of varroa destructor.

 and the second, the importance of some form of regulation in
> agricultural practice (as much as I hate the federal KGB):

I can see you are one of those people which think we can legislate away our
bee problems. Most bee movement is unregulated even if laws are in place.
Not enough enforcement and even if there was funding to increase enforcement
it is impossible to police the migratory beekeepers. We can't even police
our borders so what makes you think the government can police bee movement
between states. Are all the hives in all states with registered locations on
registered locations? I don't think so!

I live in Missouri.

St. Louis is the 2nd. most dangerous city in the U.S. ( bet your guess was
L.A., Miami , New York or our capital). Killings happen daily across the
state. If you don't die from a shooting or mugging you are not news worthey.
Last year I visited a friend at Truman West Hospital in Kansas City. Five
gunshot victoms came in while I was visiting. The nurse said a normal night.
The next day I searched the KC Star newspaper and not a word about those
shootings ( maybe because the people lived?).

A couple days ago I turned on CNN ( motel on the road) and the news was that
down under they passed a law store santa's could not say Ho Ho Ho! CNN said
they would be arrested as Ho Ho Ho was offensive to women. Slow news day
around the world or simply trying to mask the real problems? maybe next week
on CNN I will see a Santa was sent to jail for refusing to stop saying Ho!
Ho! Ho!.

Mary Jane is the largest cash crop in Missouri ( Kansas City Star) and
Missouri is the Meth Capital of the U.S. ( KC Star).

My point is we have got laws on the books which are supposed to stop these
problems but yet these problems grow each year. I travel the roads at night
and frankly make my pitstops along side the roads as the rest areas are
dangerous in the middle of the night. I could share stories from the road
but enough said.

bob

--
believed to be clean.