From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:27:32 -0000
Joe Mc Cool asked
> 1.  Apedia boxes that I have seen have a piece of queen excluder in
> front of the fondant.  Why is it important to keep the Q out of the
> foundant ?

Bees will sometimes build comb in the feeder.  If the queen has access, she
could lay in it (and almost certainly will) making it very difficult to
manage - guess where the queen will be when you want to catch her!

> 2.  What are the advantages of feeding fondant rather than syrup in
> Apidea boxes ?

For me, ease of feeding, less chance of spillage if moving, less chance of
bees drowning, bees will only take what they need, no fermentation or mouldy
stores.

> 3.  In the mini frames we normally use starter strips of wax.  What
> are the advantages of this as against giving them a full mini sheet ?

As the boxes are so small, it is a good idea to give them plenty of work to
do.  As the season progresses it is necessary to cut out some of the comb.
I cut out the lower half of each comb, but rather than waste the brood, I
stand these pieces upside down on the crownboards of full sized colonies;
the wax can be removed later.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/