From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:25:41 -0500
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:45:54 -0500, J. Waggle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Drone freezing IMO may potentially be worse because you are removing drones
from the mating pool that may or may not be useful.  How would your mating
fair if you remove all the drones by culling them?

First off, it is impossible to remove all the drones. Second, drone removal
is usually not done in the spring when the varroa levels are low. Third, if
you actually have mating yards, you should be putting drone mother colonies
in these yards. Obviously, you wouldn't kill *these drones*.

But you aren't really talking about controlled mating anyway, if you are
championing the use of feral bees. In my opinion, using feral colonies is
resorting to the lowest common denominator and is not a form of bee breeding
at all. But I guess I have made that clear in previous posts.

pb