From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:12:16 -0500
Aaron Morris wrote:

> I'm not sure what to conclude from the announcement that Horace Bell is getting out.

I am afraid many growers are in big polination trouble! Growers keep
planting almonds and other crops without a thought about where they will
get their polinators.

This is not to say beekeeping in the U.S. is doomed.

Our government is to blame for this problem. Doing away with the old
honey loan system has put more large beekeepers out of business than
mites or any other beekeeping problem. Under the old loan program
beekeepers and packers got along. Beekeepers got their prices and
packers got their low prices at the buyback level. The need to import
came from doing away with the old honey loan system. Many in congress
called the old honey loan program a subsidy for millionare beekeepers.
The truth was it was money well spent by U.S. taxpayers because the
value of beekeeping is in polination and not HONEY production!
Under the old system H.B would not have a problem with moving his honey.
Reinstating the honey loan program as it was for many years would give
many large operators breathing room. Call your congressman!

B.H.
Odessa, Missouri