From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:21:06 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: peter dillon <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 4:51 PM
Subject: Bee Disappearing Disease
 Hello Peter & All,
 Two questions that I would like the group to help me on.
 1. Has any work been done on the "Disappearing Bee Disease"?
 Apparently there was a  study undertaken by State Bee inspectors in the
U.S. - it was "found" in 27  states. Any info. would be most welcome.

I remember the study was published in the American Bee Journal and might be
able to locate the issue if another Bee-L member doesn't.

 2. Regarding C.P.V. (Chronic Paralysis Virus) - according to your
expertise, is it possible in  ANYWAY possible  to confuse this viral
infection (at least its symptoms!) with pesticide  intoxication of adult
bees?

Bailey in the last half of this century found and named many virus
infections of bees. Positive id is done with a electron microscope. Actually
Bailey (1963) found two similar paralysis virus infections. Chronic Bee
Paralsis (CBPV) and Acute Bee Paralysis (ABPV). Although SBV & ABPV share
similar physical properties,serological and cross infection studies suggest
that they are distinct.
Bailey and co workers isolated and described a series of viruses of bees.
All these viruses are considered RARE by most researchers. Most are
considered of little importance by commercial beekeepers but interesting.
Two viruses Bailey found and named (black queen virus,and bee virus Y) only
occur in bees when Nosema is present.  In other words most viruses are
considered to be secondary infections. Now to answer your question number
two.
Pesticide intoxication can show itself in many forms. Yes its possible the
symptoms you see are ABPV or SBV and only a bee lab could tell you for sure
BUT those could have been brought on because of pesticide intoxication. In
my opinion you are most likely looking at pesticide problems if the problem
is widespread. Bailey was doing his research on a hive of otherwise healthy
bees(before mites). Today we are most likely looking at bees with some level
of tracheal mite and varroa mite load. Secondary virus infections are more
common with mite infestations.
 Diagnosis is best done in a lab. Hope I have helped.
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri