From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 22:46:39 -0600
Hello Brian & All,
Brian your concerns are real but what do you suggest for solutions besides
closing your border and stopping the flow of pollinators. This has been
tried many times but has never worked.

I have been sitting on a industry update from Florida. The few people I have
shown the report to have been shocked!
I have not decided yet to post in its entirety. Want a small sample:

AHB Florida update:
"It is rampant, it is in the migratory operations (estimates from the
beekeepers was 10% this past year). Favorite method of detecting was to
slowly drive by the hives , and watch to see which hives the bees poured out
of to attack the truck then mark those hives, and when they get to their
destination ,split and requeen. I think the 2006 hobby level beekeeper will
start seeing large numbers of AHb in their hives and get discouraged . There
is no real program to help them (education or otherwise).

It is my opinion (only an opinion) that the AHB in Florida entered Florida
at ports from ships. It is my opinion they are almost if not pure
scutellata. So the situation could become similar to the release in Brazil.
The AHb which entered Texas have had plenty of European hives to work
through before entering the U.S. and some are hot and some are not. The
reports coming out of Florida from commercial beekeepers is scary as far as
the general public is concerned.

January is the first time I will be able to observe these bees close up and
I hope to take pictures and see for myself.

Bob