From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:26:14 +0000
Interesting mail from Allen,
Presumably time will let the knowledge (regarding Aussie. SHB) sought by beekeepers to come out.

The little comment at the end - "I hate suprises".

Now where is the suprise in pest translocation and bees.
As long as corporal bee transportation takes place between areas that have pests into those areas
that do not - problems in control will occur.
And historically, transportation from areas near pest ridden areas but thought to be clear, again
have allowed pests to be spread.

As mentioned several days previously - Canada was again going to let in bees / queens from Aus. that
were at least 14 miles from the nearest confirmed SHB area. This distance being considered as a
suitable "cordon sanitaire".
Presumably some individual knows better over what my instincts are telling me.

Also - as to spreading of pests from place to place, I suggest this nearly always comes down to
actions taken by beekeepers or individuals related to the industry / pastime.
Rules are put in place (presumably with advice taken from individuals knowledgeable of apiculture),
only to be broken by individuals allied to beekeeping - e.g.. Illegal shipments of material from U.S
to Canada as highlighted earlier last year.

No suprise Allen: - where there are pests, they will eventually get to where we don't want them and
as stated, usually by our own doing!

Stop international transfer of bees - or allow it to continue, with the inevitable consequences?

Peter