From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:14:21 -0800
I forgot to mention that with this trap installed and
not on bypass, the hive continues to have pollen in
the cells in some reasonable (to me) quantity.  It is
apparent that pollen continues to get through the
stripper screens.  I speculate that it is the small
pellets which get through and the large ones which do
not but, of course, I have no way of knowing.  Absent
trying to find some way to quantify it, I find it hard
to think of bees starving for honey with honey in the
hive or for pollen with pollen in the hive.

Another thing which bears here somewhat is something I
never seen mentioned.  Most of the time most of the
bees have nothing to do, as watching an observation
hive will verify.  Like soldiers between wars and
firemen (the fire duty ones) between fires.  Except in
the middle of some big flow, I think worries about
efficiency and proximity of pollen to the brood and
such to be somewhat overdone.  My bees put most of the
pollen in the frames closest to the end of the
entrance they favor and I presume the nurse bees have
to come and get it there when they want it.  And it is
there all the time when these traps are in use.  I
only bypass or remove the trap if their internal
supply runs low or about the 1st of August to begin
building a pollen surplus for overwintering.
Incidentally, I have never observed anything which
remotely could be considered using restraint in pollen
collection.   Dam