From:
Patrick Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:59:12 -0500
There are a couple reasons this won't work.

First, In order for the maple sap to flow, the night time temperatures need
to be below freezing and the day time temperatures above freezing. This
generally occurs in mid-march here in Vermont. Based on my experience, the
bees are still clustered during the sap flow. They may make a brief
appearance to purge themselves but they generally make a hasty retreat back
to the hive. There are no other sources of pollen or nectar at this time
either, so they really don't have a reason to be foraging. Once the maples
bud, which is the time the bees will start to forage, the sap flow is over.

Second, maple sap averages about 2% sugar content. Honeybees will generally
not gather nectar that is less than 15% sugar content, and usually it is
much higher.

Regards,
Patrick

_____________________
Patrick L. Larsen
Project Geoscientist
Stone Environmental, Inc.
Montpelier, VT USA
www.stone-env.com

snip

>         Will the bees go to the taps in the trees?  Could it
> be feed to them
> to make maple honey?  I'd like to hear for and against.  I
> think it would bee
> a better product.

snip