Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2019 05:54:21 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
a Jerry Bromenshenk snip followed by > my comments.. 
The oddest language that I found was in TX rules.  Maybe Gene Ash can tell me what happened.  The TX state language goes way beyond simply stating that bee inspectors can't have beekeeping operations, that would compete with professional beekeepers.  TX adds in nepotism, even by marriage! 

>Well Jerry we are a pretty odd lot down this way.  As far as I know the restriction on location was more about the queen rearing folks who did not want the location of their mating yards known. Many of the commercial outfits are typically northern beekeepers who keep their bees down here during the winter months. Essentially modern day carpet baggers who enjoy the nice winter but go out of their way to pay no taxes. Collectively much of the same crowd complains about the inconvenience of being inspected and the cost of the permits.  I suspect over towards East Texas we have a lot of 'fence jumpers' who come into the state with no permit and avoiding the state agricultural inspection stations coming in and leaving.

>I am not certain about the legal restriction on the inspectors having their own 'operation' (is there a specific number that goes with this?) but I do know a former (now dead) State Inspector did have (at one time) a fair number of hives he maintained. Not that I could even image he in any way competed with the pros here in Texas.  The nepotism restriction would also be interesting to review... but given the past history of the place I cannot see why that would be thought illegal or unethical... 

Gene in Central Texas...

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2