From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 08:48:46 -0700
> I would suspect either Nosema or dysentery.

> Fouling the hive is I believe the main symptom of nosema.

> "K" wing is a dead giveaway.  This is where the front and
> hind wings (both sides or either) get unhooked.

> I have never heard of K wings associated with nosema

> The bees crawling in the grass was his concern...When we
> went to check his hives with him we found that the symptom of
> 'losing the sting reflex' was the strongest symptom to lead us to
> determine Nosema.

I hope that interested members will consult their copy of 'The Hive and the
Honey Bee' and look up this topic starting on page 1097.  Particularly, please
consult 'Diagnosis' on page 1100.

I will not quote the entire passage here.  That is not the purpose of this list.
I assume that all members of this list for 'Informed discussion of Beekeeping
Issues and Bee Biology' -- at minimum -- have a recent copy of THATHB in their
possession, and consult it regularly before posting.

The discussion in THATHB more than answers the questions about detection and
diagnosis of nosema and will also make it obvious which of the above statements
are consistent with proven fact and worthy of this list and which are uninformed
guesses or misunderstandings.  You may be surprised.

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/