From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:50:33 -0700
> I think I understand what there are some experts/scientists that lurk
> and do not participate. They cannot stand up to any challenge of what
> they have accepted as fact and what experienced beekeepers might
> challenge. It is much easier to think you have the answers than to place
> them before a group of your peers and support them, especially if the
> group has experience.

It seems to me that this is exactly the kind of sweeping generalization that
guarantees non-participation by many who might otherwise add a few
worthwhile words and pointers to our list.

Rather than being seen as a challenge -- as I suspect the above troll was
intended -- most pros will see those words as an insult and a warning of how
much work -- or abuse -- could come from incautiously contributing a few
words of advice or well-grounded opinion, and make them glad they did not
yield to temptation by joining in.

How can members demand that someone else -- usually someone who has invested
a lot of personal time, money and effort to learn -- take the time to dig up
references when they will not bother to do so themselves?  No one is
obligated to do any such thing, or even argue a point for that matter.  It
is entirely proper to point out succinctly that work has been done and that
literature exists without going into detail or providing the full text.   It
is an act of generosity to do any more than that.

Surprisingly,  many do take the time to try to repeatedly set things
straight -- often without thanks.  I thank them now.  While it is easy to
dash off an opinion piece or a troll, or quote dogma, it is much more
difficult to write a thoughtful, researched piece about bees and/or their
management from personal experience.  This is particularly true when there
are many conflicting and possibly confusing factors to consider.   Such an
effort can take hours or days of careful thought and writing (some of us
take days writing and re-writing an article) -- and be rewarded by reams of
quickly written, facile and ill-considered responses.

I hope that those who have real practical knowledge will continue to give
what they feel comfortable giving and ignore demands for more.

> I am a bit bothered that the anonymous scientist could not post links or
> names of studies that counter anything posted here..

Tough.

He doesn't owe you or me or BEE-L a thing, but I think we owe him for his
(private) aside which was relayed -- without his permission -- to the list.

FWIW, I agree with him 100%.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/