From:
Tom Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:46:00 +0000
Hello All

It appears that the SHB has appeared in Australia in two widely separated
locations (Sydney and near Brisbane). I know that some American beekeepers
have had to put up with this latest pest for about four years and that
Coumaphos seems to give adequate control.

Has a non chemical based IPM approach been worked out against the beetle? I
am thinking especially of beekeepers who do not wish to use chemicals and
who are showing good results against varroa without chemicals.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can seriously disrupt the
breeding cycle of the beetle by surrounding your hives with plastic or
polythene sheeting to prevent the beetle burrowing into the ground to
contine its reproduction. Possibly not for the commercial beekeeper but for
the hobbyist.

Any comments most welcome as I believe that I would be naive to assume that
Ireland will not find itself on the pest's itinerary eventually.

Sincerely
Tom Barrett
Dublin
Ireland